Non-residents of the UK are asked to pay income tax on most of their UK salaries. Though, most are permitted an income tax personal allowance.

The personal allowance set for 2022/23 is £12,570, which elaborates that couples can accommodate up to £25,000 of UK income from tax.

Who is Suitable For a Personal Allowance?

The majority of non-residents of the UK have the advantage of asserting personal allowance. Concerning regulations, the following persons succeed:

  • Crown servants (current and former)
  • Individuals whose (late) spouse was working in the Crown’s service.
  • Workers in the service of any land under Her Majesty’s.
  • Persons are working for a missionary society.
  • Inhabitants of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
  • Individuals formerly tenant in the UK and are settled overseas for the sake of their health or any of their family members.
  • EEA nationals.

EEA republics include Germany, Bulgaria, Austria, Cyprus, Belgium, Czech Republic, Latvia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, France, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Slovenia, Romania, Slovakia, Sweden, and Spain.

The UK is no longer part of the EEA and EU. UK citizens who became non-residents are not allowed a personal allowance under strict legislation.

We do not believe that UK nationals who become non-residents will be deprived of admittance to the personal allowance. Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs regulations declared that British inhabitants who turn into non-residents are permitted the personal allowance (counting those enclosed under the UK Overseas Territories Act 2002). In this theory, we assume that UK nationals will continue to benefit from personal allowance encircle to this issue.

Commonwealth Citizens

People in the past used to claim personal allowance based on Commonwealth citizens. This act is no longer in existence.

Double Tax Treaties 

Under the requirements of double tax treaties, several non-residents could afford the personal allowance. This comprises of:

  • A person who is a resident of Australia, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Botswana, Egypt, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Gambia, Canada, India, Ivory Coast, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Jordan, Lesotho, South Korea, Montenegro, Morocco, Malaysia, Nigeria, New Zealand, Pakistan, Oman, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Serbia Russian Federation, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Switzerland, Sudan, Tajikistan, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad, Tunisia, Tobago, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uganda, Venezuela, Uzbekistan, Zimbabwe and Vietnam. These citizens must have a passport or any document to show residents. They should get a license from the local tax authority expressing that they are an inhabitant there for tax purposes.
  • Nationals of Jamaica or Israel. (For proof, passports could be required).
  • Individuals are residents of Belgium, Myanmar, Barbados, Austria, Fiji, Greece, Ireland, Kenya, Mauritius, Luxembourg, Namibia, Portugal, Netherlands, and Switzerland. Yet again, it would help if you got attested documents from the local tax authority telling you that you are a resident there for tax purposes.

If you are a tenant in Mauritius or Kenya, you cannot use personal allowance if your income comprises royalties, interest, or dividends. Under the USA/ UK double tax agreement, US residents living in the USA are not permitted personal allowances.

Dealing with HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs)

If you are eligible for a personal allowance, you can get it by filling out the form “R43”. The form is readily available on Google with a single click of “HMRC R43”. This form also helps you claim a repayment of the UK tax you have paid in previous or current years.

Restricting Personal Allowance for Non-Residents

The government publicized that it would ask to control the personal allowance for non-occupants in 2014.

The conclusion to this was that they decided not to act but specified that: “The government will remain to debate on the application of this change with investors. A more comprehensive discussion will be undertakenon whether the government should proceed or not.

A person with a suitcase

If you’re a non-UK resident needing more help with your personal tax or corporate tax, get in touch with us. We have London’s leading tax advisors onboard that will help you will all your tax-related needs. Contact us now for a free 15-minute consultation.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email