If you are self-employed in the construction industry, at that point you can decide to enroll with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) in the position of a subcontractor under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). Furthermore, you should also register for the CIS with HMRC, if you are a contractor who is engaging in other self-employed workers on construction ventures. Activities that are categorised as construction work includes site preparations, changes, disassembling, fixes, demolitions and decorations.

If you are enrolled with HMRC as a subcontractor under the CIS, it implies that the contractor (the organization that draws in you as an self-employed labourer) must retain 20{f5c46dbfd7a370437117a81398f3ac99c38e148024d17c03e20eb6cfc854a7af} of the number of your income (aside from any sums for materials, plant hire, and so on.) and pay it to HMRC for your benefit as an advance payment for your income tax and National Insurance contributions. This implies just 80{f5c46dbfd7a370437117a81398f3ac99c38e148024d17c03e20eb6cfc854a7af} of your income will be paid straightforwardly to you, together with any sums paid for materials, plant hire, and so on. If your taxes have been regularly paid, at that point you can apply to HMRC for ‘gross payment status’. This permits the contractor to compensate you completely, without retaining any sums for tax. There is more data on the best way to apply for ‘gross payment status’ and the criteria which must be met on GOV.UK.

If you choose not to register with HMRC nor apply for ‘gross payment status’, at that contactors must retain 30{f5c46dbfd7a370437117a81398f3ac99c38e148024d17c03e20eb6cfc854a7af} as advance money.

The payment retained by contractors and paid over to HMRC for your sake is then set against your tax and National Insurance bill once the important Self-Assessment returns is submitted and processed. In case you have accepted to; gross payment status’, there will often be a tax refund due.

If you want to get more information regarding CIS, you can visit GOV.UK and BOOKLET 340 that includes further guidance regarding it. A short film is also available on Youtube by HRMC that will guide you on how to register for the CIS.

What occurs after you have registered with HMRC?

If you have never filed a Self-Assessment tax return form previously, you will get your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) after registering yourself with HMRC. The UTR is a ten-digit number which you will require when completing your tax return and comparing with HMRC. On the off chance that you have already completed tax returns – regardless of whether it was a long time prior – your old UTR number will begin working on registering as self-employed.

A Self-Assessment tax return regarding the year in which you began your business, will be sent to you soon after. The method of receiving it will be dependent entirely on whether you have chosen electronic communications from HMRC.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email